Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harpoon: Catamount Maple Wheat

Boring myself with useless Michael Jackson coverage... I decided to finally write up my thoughts on the Harpoon Catamount Maple Wheat. Heeere we go!

I've been a longtime fan of Harpoon as many people in the greater New England area are. I worked not a block from the Brewery in South Boston and we had regular events there over the past few years. In fact, I've met the owners at a few beer release events and they could not be nicer. Their beers by and large are excellent, the Raspberry UFO, the UFO Hefeweizen, the Harpoon IPA, the Munich Dark are consistantly some of my favorites. They also have something called the "100 barrel series" which is kind of neat project that the owners of Harpoon started. Essentially, it's an opportunity for their brewers to take a chance. They make a "small" batch of beer any way they feel fit. If it's any good, they sell it! If it's not... well, I can only imagine that they "dispose" of it any way possible. (CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!!)

By it's nature, the "100 barrel series" is somewhat touch and go. I've had some bad versions, I've had some excellent ones and I've had some that are... well, beer. The Catamount maple wheat falls into the latter of these categories. It's not a terrible beer, but I will say, it's not quite what I expected. When you first open it up, pour it out, it looks to be a good beer. DARK amber color, crisp wheat notes and a good solid head. However, there's one thing missing... the MAPLE! I can understand that they probably used Maple sugar as a priming agent or as fuel for the yeast, however, there is a notable absence of that distinct flavor. I'll admit, I was disappointed. The beer itself is OK, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. Still love the Brewery and everything they stand for and I will definitely try their next experiment, but the Catamount Maple Wheat fell flat.

It's summer, I'm sure that I'll have more posts to give you!

Rob Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment