Friday, October 2, 2009

The Pike "Kilt Lifter"

Soooooo, I did it again... I bought a beer because of a cute and funny label and totally underestimated the beer within. Amusing label AND great beer? Impossible said the me of an hour and a half ago... Today I sit again humbled by both extraordinary brewing and clever marketing. However did they know, that I, an aspiring bagpiper and proud Gael would find immediate connection with the "Kilt Lifter"? Yes, I have lifted my kilt now and again... and more often than not, yes I am wearing something beneath... I'm more modestly Irish than anything else I guess...

Despite my shortcomings and clear lack of good judgement, I have to tell you, this is a remarkably well balanced brew. They've named this a Scotch red or as they're calling it, a "Ruby ale", which is something I've not run across before. Generally, the scotch ales I've had previously have been a bit heavy on the honey (there's more types of bee barf than clover honey people..) and intensely bitter hops. However, this hidden gem greets you with a dark red/amber hue, hits your nose with a hint of hop and a sweet maltiness and has a thick, meaty character. In short, in a world of overhopped IPAs and mediocre, watery half hearted attempts at English Ales, THIS is the beer I've been looking for.

The Pike Brewing company has, in addition, piqued my inner (and outer) beer geek in two distinct ways.

1. The label: Ordinarily, a label is a label. It tells you the name of the beer, type, alcohol content etc. In this case, they've given those of us with enough knowledge to be dangerous something to chew on. In the lower left hand corner of the bottle, you can see, IBUs and specific gravity. Not that it means much, but the thought behind the label means quite a bit to me as it assumes that the consumer... you and me... know enough about the process to understand just how bitter tangy and thick this bad boy is going to be.

2. The website: different... in a good way!!! Check this site out. Beer geeks unite!! Pikebrewing.com gives not only the beer science specifics but also gives history of the style, flavor profiles etc. With names like the "Naughty Nellie" and "Old Bawdy" and "Monk's Uncle", I'm thinking that a field trip to the Seattle Brewery is in order... the draw at this point is inescapable. If the Brewery and staff are as good as their electronic representation, then I HAVE to meet the crew behind the brew!!

Pike Brewing and members of the Finkel Family, thanks a ton for a GREAT beer, I'm actively going to search out your other beers and will hopefully like them JUST as much as the one I'm drinking right now.

Pike Brewing Co. Website: www.pikebrewing.com

Slainte Here's tae ye, Pike...

Most appreciatively yours,

Rob Anderson

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rob, Thanks for the kind words. We're glad you liked the beer and our labels. We love your writing. Where are you writing from? Are you receiving our email newsletters? Please let us know when you come for a visit; we'll give you a tour, taste some beers and show you Pike's Microbrewery Museum.
    Cheers, Rose Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose Ann, Thank you so much for your offer. I'm DEFINITELY down for a tour of the museum and actually, I have a friend who lives up near Seattle and I've been meaning to visit. I'm writing from Greater Boston's Metro West area, I'm right off the Boston Marathon route. Thank YOU for the excellent beer! Looking foward to tracking down more of your beers.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete