Friday, October 23, 2009

On the pipe

So I finally did it... This Thursday, I plunked down a deposit on a set of bagpipes. They're winging their way from Scotland as we speak!

The process for buying these pipes is as much as journey as my last 10 months have been. In January of '09 I've been working with the Sutherland Pipe Band in Newton, MA and they've been kind enough to provide me with free lessons, which some bands often do. Their only requirement is that I play with them in parades & special events, which, I already have and will continue to do so as I've enjoyed it greatly!

Events Thus far:
1 St. Patrick's day parade: Dummied on the bagpipes*
1 Memorial day Parade: Nahant, MA Dummied on the bagpipes*
2 Parades on the 4th of July in Bourne, MA and Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA: Played the tenor Drum and finally got a basic twirl down by the end of the day.

*Dummied means that your drones and your chanter have been corked. You basically wear the outfit but don't make any noise. It's also known as Hollywooding

My teacher Brian has been most patient with me through several tribulations in my first few months of lessons. One sticky chanter, (the reed wouldn't play when I'd hit my grace notes) thanks to me cheaping out on my first run through. A word of advice, pay the money! I bought a John Walsh practice chanter with a water trap. (approx $100) Well worth the money if you're a drooler! Another embarrassing issue was that I broke Brian's chanter reed on a loaner practice chanter while I was waiting for my new chanter to come in. He's also been most patient with me as I've fouled up line after line of pipe music. Most days it doesn't sound like music, but we're getting there!

Now, I've hemmed and hawed about this purchase for several months and finally decided to sell some stock (GREAT time to sell, pardon the sarcasm) in order to make the purchase. It's a REALLY expensive purchase so I needed to be sure that I really wanted to do this. The band has a loaner set, but they're being used by another new guy. The funny thing about my decision making is that I decided to get some advice from the guys in the band first. I couldn't help but draw the parallels between my conversation about buying the pipes, and the conversations I had just before I got married.

"You can buy used, but I wouldn't recommend it, sometimes they end up being more expensive..." - So did she date a lot before she met you?
"You need to buy from a reputable dealer, make sure they know their stuff." - So tell me about her parents...
"Choose carefully, these pipes will be with you for life" - No translation needed!

There are only a few reputable dealers in the area and frankly, I think that the band pointed me to one of the best. Dick Chane up in Gloucester, MA is a master at his craft and was really helpful in the purchase process. His website, listed below is a good starting point for the process and I'd highly suggest that you read it if you're in the market. There's a lot of stuff on there that really you wouldn't think about. One thing you should know first and foremost is that you don't just walk in and BUY a set of pipes. The pipes are made FOR you. Dick took the time to measure me for bag size, drone placement, blowtube length etc. I've bought a LOT of instruments in my day and I've never seen a fuss like this This is a truly customized instrument. Every inch of this thing had questions from Dick. Imitation Ivory mounts, Nickel or Silver? Blackwood or plastic drones, stocks and blow tube? Leather bag or goretex?

My set up is going to be as follows:
Duncan-Soutar Blackwood drones - Very high quality competition level pipes according to Dick.
Poly blowstick (10") and stocks*
Most damage occurs due to moisture, these are the areas that end up attracting the most water due to the fact that these are the parts closest to the bag and to your mouth. Polypenco is a high grade plastic used to make the stocks & the blow tube as well as my chanter and practice chanter.
Nickel ferrules
Imitation Ivory Caps
Leather L and M Scotia bag
I've got to tell you, the bag is really cool, it's got a zipper on the side for easy maintenance and is already set up to accept the drones so that you don't have to cut into the bag when setting it up.
Soutar drone and chanter reeds
White silky cords - Matches the band for the most part.
Dick is also setting me up with a beginner's package that includes Corks, Hemp, seasoning etc. All the stuff that a soon to be asthmatic skirt wearing noise maker needs to get rolling!

Things I'm not ordering are the Chanter and the bag cover as the band will be providing those for me. It saves me a bit of money for now and I have no plans on leaving the band at any time in the foreseeable future. Most bands will provide you with a matched band chanter as they want to get the sound as close as possible to the rest of the band.

Either way, I'm really excited about this purchase and can't WAIT for my pipes to clear customs! Thanks to Dick Chane for all his help and thanks to the boys in the Sutherland Band for pointing me in his direction.

Rob

Here's Dick's Website. Read first THEN call him.
http://www.rchanebagpipes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment