Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday night's all right for... Brewin?

Saturday has rolled around again, reflecting on a week of highs and lows, a rough week at work, a great bagpipe lesson, breakthroughs with the wife and kid and a service project that frankly cleared my soul... all in all, a good week. So good news! I will not be going to hell in the express lane that I previously thought that I was in. What better way to end a roller coaster week than to hang with a buddy and "help" him brew beer... Meaning of course, that I drank a whole mess of beer, watched the Sox TROUNCE the Yanks in an amazing 11 to 16 comeback all while watching Jason work his brewer's magic. He's making several batches of the "Wedding beer" which I've reviewed in previous blogs. Good beer, it should prove to be the hit of the reception... or the ceremony itself!! Either way, Jason's BierKeller is well stocked and while I brought over a sixer of a curiosity brew, Jason allowed me to drink some beers that were, honestly, pretty good.

We'll start off with the curiosity beer... For the record, I bought this based on Jason's blog "Brewing the Perfect Beer" (linked to this blog). It wasn't a direct recommendation, however I just had to try it considering how much effort was brought to the documentary, "Beer Wars". Anat Baron's (brewer and documentary maker/co founder of the Boston Beer Co.) Edison Beer works well enough for an American beer and in fact holds up well to the style. It's pretty clearly an attempt to match the larger Light (or Lite thank you marketing for destroying the English Language) American Lagers (Coors, Budwiser etc.) and bring a craft brew feel to it. Frankly, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It was a hot day in the Commonwealth today, it was a hot, toilsome emotionally rewarding day at Rebuilding Together, Boston and a GREAT day for a light beer. While there were other options on the shelf, I chose this one, thinking that there was perhaps a little bit of care brought to its creation. I wasn't wrong, it's clear that a lot of care went into this beer, however I did find it to be relatively uninspired. It had a good body, somewhat initially ricey (is that an adjective outside of Pee Wee's Playhouse?) taste and an even weirder aftertaste. I really wasn't sure what to make of it and had a difficult time placing some of the flavors. It's not a bad beer and perhaps would go well with BBQ or I might use it to use it in fondue or beer bread. However I wasn't totally wowed by it. As a side note, I've had some kind of off luck with buying beer at Trader Joe's... the TJ's beers in general are kind of bland (and frankly terrible, avoid them at all costs) I'd suggest going to a liquor store that takes their time in choosing quality beers. They've made SOME good choices... but by in large, the selection is poor.

The second beer was equally odd... well, we'll call it eccentric as it was a pretty good beer overall. In my family, when something is "interesting" it could go either way. Either it's interesting meaning truly neat OR it could be interesting meaning please stop this conversation... cooooouuld it get any weirder? The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery's Amber Ale, dependent on what you're into, malty beers or hoppy, dry or sweet, is a beer you'll either love or hate. In general, I like a beer with good balance, but this one trends well into the dry, malty side and it was hardly unpleasant. It's got a light hop flavor but the malt is what really comes through. It's clearly got a carmelized malt which gives it a bit of zing and a good body that made it a pleasure to drink. I had a hard time pairing it with anything in my head, but thinking further on it, I would imagine it good with a Vietnamese short rib recipe I made about a year ago. The salt of the fish sauce combined the sweetness of the brown sugar would compliment this beer. I'll see if I can find that recipe and will post it as soon as I can. I'm not sure that this one can be bought in the local area, however if you find it, give it a shot. I, personally found it to be pretty decent.

Still working on getting a brew recipe together, I have hops frozen in the freezer that need to be used and I'm thinking that a good light summer 4th of July brew is in order. Considering they're centennial hops, I think that the wife and I can throw something together on the fly.

Well friends, I'll be signing off now.

Be Well, Brew Well,

(a currently somewhat impaired) Rob Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment